Chair Yoga Foundation Certificate Training with Claire Osborne
(Experienced Yoga Instructor and Yoga Therapist)
30 hour in depth training, to enable you to deliver safe, creative, enjoyable Chair based yoga to a diverse range of communities.
Support your students and clients to develop more mobility and confidence in their bodies,
Learn techniques for mental and emotional well being.
Offer an environment where people can have fun, at the same time learning to care for themselves.
This professional development training for Yoga Teachers and professionals working in care settings will give you the basic skills to run chair yoga classes or integrate chair yoga into your regular teaching or care setting.
These skills can also be applied in numerous settings, such as active retirement groups, wheelchair users, community groups, people with special needs and for people with limited movement due to health, injury or recovery from surgery.
Who’s it for? this training is open to all!
It may be especially helpful as professional development for:
- Healthcare Professionals
- Yoga Teachers
- Yoga Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- or other therapists and health workers who would like to include a body-based practice into their work.
Course hours: 30 total hours
- In person tuition 24 hours
- Online classes 3 hours
- Personal study and assessments 3 hours
The content of this course is drawn from Claire’s 20 years of experience teaching yoga, as well as her background as a yoga therapist and massage therapist.
This is the 8th time Claire has delivered this training, and the most detailed and comprehensive training she has delivered yet.
She has given a lot of care and attention to ensure that experienced as well as new teachers leave the course feeling informed and confident to create and deliver empowering, creative and sensitive classes in a number of settings.
- Overview of chair yoga, it’s applications and target groups
- Practical steps and supports to set up a class and make it accessible
- A wide range of practices including Asana, Pranayama (breathing practices), Mudras, Meditation, Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra, plus therapeutic applications and adaptations.
- Several practice sequences to support creating balanced and creative classes
- Practices for minimally mobile students
- In depth information to support posture
- How to help people develop the skill and confidence to move from the chair into standing.
- Introduction to yogic philosophy relevant to chair yoga classes
- Introduction to therapeutic yoga models as a lens for understanding health conditions and support for planning class plans
- Health and safety tips
- Detailed teaching tips, to support you to hold space in a compassionate and sensitive way
- Trauma sensitive teaching practice
- Introduction to medical and health conditions
- Reflection on emotional considerations in chair yoga
- Overview of the nervous system
- Reflections on Yoga practices as a support for the nervous system, general health and the management of pain.
- Supervised teaching practice
Free additional material!
Recordings of all the online classes and modules will be made available of all the modules for 30 days afterwards.
There will be additional audio recordings available of meditations, pranayama (breathing) practices and Yoga Nidras.
Time commitment – 30 hours
- Two in person weekends. 10am-5.30pm each day.
4 specialist chair yoga classes, showing how chair yoga can be applied in different settings.. e.g Yoga for people with hip problems (e.g. pelvic pain, or pre and post hip surgery), yoga for the older population (e.g. care homes), yoga for the workplace, trauma sensitive chair yoga. (subject matter to be confirmed). Two will be in person, and two online with guest teachers.
Independent course-work and assessment:
Includes in module teaching assessment.
- Pre-reading and homework between modules
- Q and A on course content after modules (verbal option for people with dyslexia)
- Personal research project about an area of interest.
– Design a class for an individual student or target group.
– Research the condition, description of physical/mental emotional considerations, cautions and contraindications, standard healthcare treatment.
– Explain your choice of practices and the theme of the class.
– List of relevant support resources in your area / online e.g. support group, charity, therapists, healthcare professionals, social groups.
How to apply:
Bookings / Enquiries for this Chair Yoga Teacher Training to: email@example.com
Pre-Requisites For This Chair Yoga Teacher Training:
On application for the course you will be asked to complete an application form.
It is not necessary to be a qualified yoga teacher to attend this course, however applicants who are not qualified yoga teachers must have previous experience and yoga to attend the training. If your experience is very little you may be asked to defer starting the course until you have more experience.
Participants who are already qualified yoga instructors to a minimum 200 Hr level must produce teacher training certificate and evidence of teaching experience .
E550 including assessment and certification fees.
One assisted place is available for an existing teacher who is already working within a healthcare setting, day care unit or charity, or who has limited financial means. A minimal fee of E250 to cover administrative costs will apply. Send an email, explaining why you’d like to do the course, why you need to apply and where you intend to offer chair yoga.
Terms and conditions:
Payment is due in full before the start of the course.
Cancellations: sorry, no refunds. You may attend the course at another date if there are unavoidable circumstances which mean you cannot attend in full in person. This is at the discretion of the course director (Claire Osborne).
If the course has to be cancelled due to unavoidable circumstances you will be offered an alternative date.
Good quality internet connection is essential.
This does not certify you fully to be a Yoga Teacher- that takes a minimum of 200 hours of training! However health care professionals who have attended this training and successfully used it to compliment their existing skills in a variety of settings e.g. physical therapy, special needs education, retirement homes. Carers have also applied skills learned on this course to work one-to-one.
Conditions of completion:
Certificate will be issued on full completion and attendance in person of the course, and on completion of coursework.
All modules need to be attended in person.
Further Info Re Course Dates Upon Enquiry / Application
Please Note: These Trainings are offered either In Studio or Online or a combination of both. Please enquire re next course structure.
About Claire Osborne
Claire has been a Yoga and movement practitioner since 1993 & has been teaching these disciplines full time since 2001.
Her teaching approach is passionate, creative, enquiring and light-hearted, with a focus on self-enquiry and awareness.
” Yoga and Movement bring me home, to myself and to the world. They provide me with the tools, awareness and ability to be more relaxed, steady and awake, to respond more wisely and creatively to all that life brings along. They have been my rock in difficult times, support for growth and healing, steered me through times of change, helped me be calm and aware when relationships become a challenge.
It is more than simply stepping onto a mat, it is about daily life – supporting myself and those I meet, to be the best they can be, with compassion, kindness and joy.”
Claire is a qualified yoga therapist, massage therapist and has trained in womb yoga, community dance, embodied anatomy, yoga nidra and restorative yoga.
She takes a mindful approach to developing awareness through the movement of the body, inspired by studying Amerta Movement with her ongoing teacher and mentor Suprapato Suryadarmo, from 1996, to the present day.
Claire is student supervisor with Yoga Campus’ yoga therapy diploma in London (www.yogacampus.com).
CHAIR YOGA TRAINING TESTMONIALS
‘’I had the pleasure of training with Claire. She has an amazing and profound presence. I’m delighted I could take part in her first Chair Yoga training weekend July 2018. It was not what I expected, I learned so much more than I thought I would, especially on a spiritual and deep connection of myself. I can recommend this course to everybody as it would be beneficial for all.’’
‘‘I cannot recommend Claire’s chair yoga training highly enough. I was very impressed with Claire’s deep knowledge of yoga asanas and philosophy and how she delivered the two day training. I found her calmness very soothing and her teaching methods very motivating. The Yoga Nidra was just the icing on the cake to a two fabulous days!”
Sara de Miguel Hernandez
‘’I highly recommend this training course of Claire’s. I attended her 1st one in July. For me already teaching Chair Yoga, it gave me lots of new ideas and reinforced my passion and reason for teaching Chair Yoga. Suitable for experienced Chair Yoga teachers, as well as anyone who’d like to begin and non-Yoga Teachers who work in an environment where people could benefit. ‘’