SATURDAY, 17 JUNE 2023 AT 10:00
Chair-based Yoga Teacher Training with Claire Osborne
A professional 30 hour training for Yoga Teachers and healthcare professionals (e.g. care homes, teachers, healthcare assistants) giving you the basic skills to run chair-based yoga classes or integrate chair-based yoga into your regular teaching or care setting. These skills can also be applied in numerous groups and settings: e.g. active retirement groups, office workers, wheelchair users, schools, community groups, people with special needs and for people with limited movement due to health, injury or recovery from surgery.
- Support your students and clients to develop more mobility and confidence in their bodies.
- Learn techniques for mental and emotional well being.
- Offer an environment where people can have fun, at the same time learning to care for themselves.
Led by course director Claire Osborne (Yoga Therapist, Teacher Trainer and Yoga Elder with IYT) with guest teacher Louise Curran.
‘’I highly recommend this training course of Claire’s. For me already teaching Chair Yoga, it gave me lots of new ideas and reinforced my passion and reason for teaching Chair Yoga. Suitable for experienced Chair Yoga teachers, as well as anyone who’d like to begin and non-Yoga Teachers who work in an environment where people could benefit. ‘’ Chair Yoga Teacher, Wicklow
WHO IS IT FOR?
This training is open to all who work professionally with people who complex or limited mobility needs, or who work in a setting where space is limited and sitting in chairs forms a large part of the daily routine (e.g. schools, offices). It may be especially helpful as professional development for: Healthcare Professionals, Yoga Teachers, Yoga Therapists, Care-workers, Physical Therapists, Teachers in primary or secondary schools, therapists and health workers who would like to include a body-based practice into their work.
The content of this comprehensive and in-depth course is drawn from Claire’s 23 years experience teaching yoga, as well as her background as a yoga therapist, movement teacher and massage therapist.
Claire has given careful attention to the delivery of this course, to ensure that experienced, as well as new teachers complete it feeling informed and confident to design and deliver empowering, joyful, creative and sensitive classes in a variety of settings.
Spread over 2 weekends, you will gain both theoretical and practical experience of:
- Overview of chair yoga, it’s applications and target groups
- Practical steps and supports to set up a class and make it accessible
- A wide range of practices to honour the 8 limbs of yoga, including Asana, Pranayama (breathing practices), Mudras, Meditation, Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra, plus therapeutic applications and adaptations.
- Chair-based and standing practice sequences to support creating balanced and creative classes
- Tips for supporting minimally mobile students
- In depth information to support essential daily life, functional movement, such as posture, balance, moving from the chair into standing and optimal breathing.
- Introduction to yogic philosophy relevant to chair-based yoga classes
- Introduction to therapeutic yoga models as a lens for understanding health conditions and support for planning class plans
- Health and safety tips
- Teaching skills, to support you to hold space in a compassionate and sensitive way
- Trauma-informed teaching practice
- Adapting practices for some common health conditions
- Reflection on emotional considerations for target groups using chair-based yoga
- Overview of the nervous system
- Reflections on Yoga practices as a support for the nervous system, general health and the management of pain.
- Supervised teaching practice
Recordings of all the online classes and modules will be made available of all the modules for 3 months afterwards.
Additional audio recordings available of Meditations, Pranayama (breathing) practices and Yoga Nidras.
Claire and Louise will offer ongoing support during the course and for a month afterwards.
Total contact hours 27hours.
- Two weekends in person (10am -5pm each day)
- June 17th & 18th 2023
- July 15th & 16th 2023
- Plus two online classes between weekends with guest teachers sharing specialist chair-based yoga classes, showing how course material can be applied to specific groups.
YOUR COMMITMENT ALSO INCLUDES:
- Reading between modules
- In module teaching practice during the final weekend.
- Questionnaire on course content
- Personal research project about an area of interest, to design a class for an individual student or target group and research the condition, description of physical/mental emotional considerations, cautions and contraindications, standard healthcare treatment and relevant support resources in your area
- You are expected to commit to a personal practice of chair-based yoga throughout the course.
CONTACT / ENQUIRIES
Need to know more? Get in touch: email@example.com
Fees to be paid in full before the start of the course.
Payment plans welcome. Please get in touch and we can work out a schedule that will best support you.
Fees include manual, assessment and certification fees.
- Deposit 150 euros
- Full price: 550 euros
- Early bird: 499 euros until the end of April
- Karma Yoga Place 450 euros
- reduced fee for previous students 450 euros.
Karma Yoga place: One reduced fee place available for someone in financial need, in exchange for practical support during the course.
Reduced fee available for those who have previously completed training with Claire and wish to do a refresher.
Contact Claire directly for reduced fee places: firstname.lastname@example.org
BOOK YOUR PLACE
YOU CAN PAY YOUR DEPOSIT HERE:
Once we have received your deposit we will be in touch with further details.
It is not necessary to be a qualified yoga teacher to attend this course, however applicants who are not qualified yoga teachers must have previous experience of yoga to attend the training. If your experience is minimal, you may be asked to defer starting the course until you have more experience.
This course does not replace a Yoga Teacher training course. If you wish to practice as a insured Yoga Teacher you will need to do a 200 hour training with an accredited organisation. However you can use this course to complement your existing skills and previous participants have successfully used the course materials in a variety of settings such as care home, wheelchair associations and in schools.
ABOUT THE TRAINERS
Lead trainer Claire Osborne:
Claire is a Yoga Elder, with over 10,000 hours of teaching experience over 23 years. In addition she has taught Amerta movement for 22 years, and is a fully trained Yoga Therapist, working one-to-one and with groups and supervising students for 7 years on the Yoga Campus Yoga Therapy training course. She is also a lead trainer for the Yoga Mandala Project since 2014, co-creating a Trauma-informed Facilitation training for yoga teachers and humanitarian workers. As part of that project she worked with refugees in Jordan and Greece. Claire is presently studying a Masters in Art Therapy. She lives in West Cork with her husband and various animals and spends as much time as possible outdoors. www.yogaandmovement.com
Guest teacher Louise Curran:
Louise has been teaching since 2015 both Mat based and Chair based Yoga. She teaches at The Ananta Yoga Studios in Wicklow Town, The Brockagh Centre in Laragh and various venues around Wicklow. Louise adapts the classes to the needs of the students present providing necessary modifications where necessary. This allows each student to work at their own pace within the class. She has trained extensively in chair and accessible yoga and continues to evolve her skills through ongoing training in Vinyasa Krama.
View Profile Here >>